What? No this isn't a New Year's Resolution, bugger off.
Upon several realisations, I figured I might as well give this whole blogging and writing thing another proper shot. I mean, a real good, proper go. I really enjoyed writing for the ANU student newspaper, Woroni last semester. But I made the (small mistake) of sticking to a 'politics and world news' column...
...so now after almost half a year of stifled intellectual ramblings in my head with no pen & paper to soothe its isolated hubris, I thought I'd go back to this quaint, personal platform.
You may notice, I also changed the title of the blog from "Ruminations of a Young Scientist" to simply "Ruminations". The reasons for this are manifold...
- As you may expect, hubris and humility are an endless tug-of-war for a budding science student...this is a tug in the humility direction
- The title was not quite accurate insofar as I'm young but not that young (ie. 18 =/= 15)
- I'm not really a scientist yet
- The "ruminations" I've previously written about and described were not entirely my own.
Now, I'm gonna make a haphazardly (not New Years Resolution dammit!) ambitious goal to maintain, and be more active on this blog from now on. Every other week I have a thought in the back of my head and I think, "Man, that would make a good blog post". As of now, I currently have 4 unfinished draft posts sitting and collecting dust in the backend... I'm gonna actually get to writing about things now.
A few ideas for other interesting things I want to include and write about:
- Suggested readings, YouTube videos/channels, online courses and things
- Reviews (movies, books, video games, workflow apps etc...)
- Shorter blogs
(blogettes? blogginos? bloggarites?)on those random thoughts I have (maybe weekly)? *
- Longer blogs (ie. Essays)
- Separate page for my current and past projects in science and things
- Notes from autodidact adventures in physics, maths and what-not (re-typed from handwritten) for my own and possibly others' benefits
- Notes from research articles I come across.
- Webserial of a story I'm currently writing (a-la Worm , a popular webseries which was also done entirely on WordPress)
Whoa. That's quite a lot. We'll see how I go, especially with crazy coursework next semester. Hell, maybe the note-taking thing could be a beneficial studying strategy. Also yes, I've already started writing that webserial, no do not ask me about it IRL, it's still under heavy development in the furnace room of my prefrontal cortex.
*Upon a quick Google search, I found a nice word, "Causerie", which I'll be sticking to for these posts. Say it in a French accent in your head and you'll know why.
####A Quick Response to my Pure Math Elitist Friends
Am I becoming an arts student?
not actually, I'm still doing maths, but hey I enjoy writing. What? Yes you can continue roasting me if you really want.
A Quick Update for Everyone Else on What the Hell I've Been Doing
(In case anybody was curious).
Oh you know, just a ridiculously insane (read: fun, not stressful), Semester 2 at ANU full of maths, plasma physics, more maths and...more maths. Oh, I got poked by swords a lot too over in Perth. At the time of writing, I'm chilling in Sydney after having finished the first half of my current summer project which is on physics education (of all things!).
Man, there's so much crazy cool things (in my [objectively correct] honest opinion), that I want to write about! Complexity theory, Graph theory, Galois theory, educating high schoolers on how to make plastic out of milk, politics (of course, it's mandatory now if you're on the internet to talk about Trump right?), climate change, quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, information philosophy...
Yikes! I'll get right to it.